Friday, May 4, 2012

Quick Snack: Flavored Rice


I tend to get hungry between meals, and it can be a pain to cook food when you have a lot of work to do. If I stood in the kitchen and cooked every time I got hungry, I would probably be in there all day.

So, I like snacks like flavored rice because they are quick, easy and don't require you to stand over the stove while they cook.

This is also one of those recipes that really only requires a couple ingredients - bonus!



Things you'll need:


1 measuring cup
1 medium-sized pot with a tight-fitting lid
1 fork

Ingredients:


1 cup white rice
2 tsp (or 2 cubes) chicken bouillon
salt and pepper
1 tbs butter or olive oil (optional)

Step 1:
Pour 2 cups of water into the pot and add the chicken bouillon. Sometime for extra flavor, I substitute 1 cup white wine for 1 cup of water.

Step 2:
Bring the water to a rolling boil and add the rice and butter/olive oil.

Step 3:
Cover the pot with the lid and set the heat to low. Allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

Step 4:
Once the rice has finished simmering, remove from heat and fluff with a fork.

Step 5:
Season the rice with salt, pepper or any other seasonings you have around. I like to sometimes add Vegeta - a mix of spices that I usually keep on hand for soups, stews, etc.

This recipe yields about 2 cups of cooked rice - not a bad amount of food for a snack or side dish. You can also add bits of cooked chicken to this and it could become a main entree - just get some canned chicken and mix it in on Step 2.

Enjoy!

No comments: