Monday, May 14, 2012

Quick Tip: Mastering Your Microwave


In the coming days I will try to post some recipes for cooking with your microwave, but for now I will share some quick tips with you.

Your microwave can cook many more foods than you think. While it cannot grill or broil, it can still make your cooking easier, faster and healthier (believe it or not). If you get a little creative, you can actually tackle most things with your microwave that you would normally use other appliances for.

One popular Lifehacker article shares a number of tips for how to cook with very little effort - something the microwave is adept at doing. 

However, what interested me most in the article, and what I wanted to share with all of you, is this - there is a popular misconception about microwaves being less healthy for the foods that you cook. 

In the article mentioned above, the author discovered that you get more vitamins and nutrients by nuking your veggies than you do from cooking them on the stove. Just throw your vegetables into a bowl with a small amount of water, cover it and microwave it for a couple of minutes and you are ready to start eating. 

Since this method is much faster and healthier than using the stove, I will probably be using my microwave much more often. 

Also, seeing as how the microwave can be a major time-saver, I will try to post some more recipes that make use of your microwave so that you can save time when cooking (something I know that everyone needs more of). 

Maybe this information will inspire you to get reacquainted with your microwave - I know it did for me!

No comments: