Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Home-cooked Advice: Planning Meals

I want to devote this post to sharing a bit of advice that I quickly learned when I got out on my own - meal planning.

If you are in college (or if you just happen to be on a shoestring budget) it is important to know how far your funds are going to go. Let's say your weekly budget for food is $50. That's not going to get you very far if you go to the store and just grab whatever looks appetizing. You need a plan for the week.

This means that your grocery list shouldn't just look like this.


You need to have some idea of what you are going to be eating for breakfast, lunch and dinner for every day of the week between shopping trips. That's what your grocery list needs to be based upon.

With this method, you will find it to be amazingly simple to stay within your budget.

In my case, I put most of my meal planning efforts into dinners. That means I will plan a couple basic meal ideas to alternate between for breakfast and lunch (for example, I might plan to have mostly soups, salads and sandwiches for lunch, so I pick out only items I need for those things).

This method leaves a lot more money and freedom so that I can get more creative with my dinner choices. I hope this helps! Comment and leave some tips of your own on how you save money on food.

No comments: